fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my PMP Exam on the first try: What worked for me

Passed my PMP Exam on the first try: What worked for me 2 months 4 days ago #31559

• Michael Martin
  • Michael Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good morning, fellow Project Managers. I spent 4 hours yesterday in a Pearson Testing Center taking the PMP Exam, and I passed on the first try. I'm here to share my lessons learned with anyone who aspires to achieving a PMP certification.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME
Everyone learns differently, so I understand my methods might not be for everyone. I used the PM PrepCast to get my PDU's, but watching videos has never been particularly helpful for me when trying to gain knowledge of complex subjects. Once I finished the PrepCast, I found I was not passing the practice quizzes in the Exam Simulator. I then bought the book "The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try" by Velociteach. I read the book cover to cover and took the practice exam at the end 5 times. After this, I started passing the quizzes on the Exam Simulator, and I scheduled my exam.

For me, the Exam Simulator was the biggest difference maker. Don't just take quizzes, go back through them when you're done, and read the explanations of the answers, ESPECIALLY on the questions you missed, or guessed on and got lucky. If you do this for enough questions, you'll develop a tacit knowledge of the subject, and the right answers will just start to 'POP' out at you. I even found that I could often times intuit what the question would be while I was still reading the description, or intuit the right answer would be before I read the choices.

I have a very packed life, complete with a PM role, a long commute, a wife who works church musician hours, and 3 small children, so consistently finding large blocks of uninterrupted time to study or take practice exams was not really an option. Instead, I consistently carved out a half hour a day to work on the PMP. When I couldn't find a half hour, I'd commit 15 or 20 minutes. Consistency was the key for me.

Using this method, I was ready for the test after about 6 months.

Good luck, everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haika Mtui, Heather Jerrett

Passed my PMP Exam on the first try: What worked for me 1 month 4 weeks ago #31564

• Rochelle Martinez
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
Congrats, Martin! And thank you for sharing your lessons learned.
Best regards,
Rochelle Martinez
VA Team Leader

Passed my PMP Exam on the first try: What worked for me 3 weeks 4 days ago #31619

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 20
Huge congratulations Michael for passing the exam! I do agree with you that consistency is key, and this is one of the reasons why I had to pause pursuing the exam in 2020 when we were hit by the pandemic and my wife gave birth to our first child. I was not able to find that consistency, but at the end of 2022 my daughter was old enough that I could then dedicate more time to my studies, and that's when I decided to take the exam and get my PMP. I applaud you for doing it with all your commitments and busy lifestyle with kids. Make sure to celebrate your accomplishment.

Cheers,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login