fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Formula Guide vs Formulas in PrepCast

Formula Guide vs Formulas in PrepCast 1 month 5 days ago #31554

• Salma Siddiqui Brown
  • Salma Siddiqui Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!
I am going through the PrepCast course and am in Module 3 - Process. When comparing the formulas in the course with the Formula Guide provided by PM PrepCast, I see the Formula Guide has more formula's in it that were not mentioned in the PrepCast videos. Is it safe to assume these are less important (i.e. less likely to be on PMP exam?).

Thank you!

Formula Guide vs Formulas in PrepCast 1 month 5 days ago #31555

• Elena Zelenevskaia
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Salma!
In November, 2023 during my exam I had just 1 question that required some calculations and formulas, and those formulas were from the video lessons only. However, all the formulas mentioned in the Guide are still common in the PM area, so I would make sure to study them as well.
Elena Zelenevskaia, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salma Siddiqui Brown

Formula Guide vs Formulas in PrepCast 1 month 5 days ago #31556

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Salma,
From my own experience and from many other reports, it seems that the current PMP exam includes far fewer questions than in years past that require one to have memorized and be experienced in using such formulas. From reading between the lines in posts in this forum, I understand that the PM PrepCast course has been updated to reflect this change.
Only someone who is familiar with the entire pool of possible PMP exam questions -- i.e., someone working for PMI and thus sworn to secrecy -- could answer with confidence on just how many formula-based questions might ever feature in a candidate's exam. However, if you are trying to work out how best to allocate your limited study time, learning dozens of formulas by heart is unlikely to be the most useful activity. The devil's advocate answer would be that knowing the formulas makes one a more rounded and versatile project manager, and that's not the same thing as just passing a certification exam.
When I was preparing, I did acquire the Formula Guide and also learned and practiced using many formulas that I had encountered for the first time in PM PrepCast materials. While very few of these featured in the PMP exam, I still don't consider the time I'd spent getting to know them as wasted.
Wishing you all the best in your continuing studies!
Dominic Hickey, PMP

Formula Guide vs Formulas in PrepCast 1 month 5 days ago #31557

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 145
Good morning, Salma,

In my 2019 version, I had two questions out of the 200-ish that had some kind of math involved - both were Earned Value/Schedule/Cost questions that could be done almost by inspection (without calculation). If it were me, I would understand the Earned Value concept inside and out and be able to tell if a project is over/under/on budget and schedule. The other formulas are good to have in a book for the times you might need them, but not necessarily for the exam.

Good luck on the exam!
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login