fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed?

Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed? 3 months 3 weeks ago #31536

• Salma Siddiqui Brown
  • Salma Siddiqui Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I understand that the PMBOK 6th Edition content will be included on the PMP exam, but where am I supposed to access this content now that the 6th Edition is no longer available? Do any of the following resources act as a replacement for the 6th edition (for the purposes of studying for the PMP exam)
1. Process Groups: A Practice Guide published by PMI
2. This article by PM Prepcast www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmbo...d-pmi-process-groups

I've read that Standards+ was a replacement, but was this only before Process Group: A Practice Guide was released? I find Standards+ really confusing to navigate.

I just want to know what to study!

Thank you all in advance!

Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed? 3 months 3 weeks ago #31537

• Elena Zelenevskaia
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Salma!
When I was preparing for the exam, PMBOK6 was still available, but I prefer to study with paper books, so I bought a second hand one on ebay.
Elena Zelenevskaia, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salma Siddiqui Brown

Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed? 3 months 3 weeks ago #31538

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Hello Salma,
I cannot provide a complete and concise answer to your detailed question, but I'll try to help.
First of all, the article that you cite in your point #2 was published well before the significant changes to the PMP exam and the move to PMBOK 7, so it needs to be read in that context.

As someone who prepared for and passed the PMP in Jan 2023, I'd say that the detailed information about the process groups, as now available in Process Groups: A Practice Guide (PG:APG), was not of fundamental importance to answering the questions in the exam that I sat. I've briefly seen the PMBOK 6 (didn't have my own copy for studying) and I used the PMBOK 7 in my preparation. I'd say that PG:APG is simply all of the process-related information that was in PMBOK 6 and that doesn't feature in PMBOK 7. That made the latter a far leaner publication but meant that there wasn't an in-print document available for those wanting to understand the processes. If you have no access to PMBOK 6 and you wish to develop a deep understanding of PMI's process groups as a project manager, PG:APG is very useful. If your goal is more straightforwardly to pass the PMP exam, it isn't essential.

As to what you should be studying, I'd suggest that absorbing the Agile Practice Guide's content and being familiar with PMBOK 7 and the ECO are the principal things to which to devote one's time. Alongside that, I believe that practicing answering all of the the questions available in the PM Prepcast Quizzes and Exam Simulator is the best use of one's time. (I'm unaffiliated with the organization; I simply found the platform very useful in succeeding in passing the real exam.) I hope that others who have taken the exam recently will provide their perspectives to assist you.
All the best with your continuing studies.
Dominic Hickey, PMP

Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed? 3 months 3 weeks ago #31542

• Jean Kwanda
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Salma,

To help you better prepare for the PMP Exam, I will advise the same thing as Dominic. I will recommend spending your time and energy reading and understanding the Agile Practice Guide's content, and familiarizing yourself with the latest PMBOK 7 and the ECO. In my opinion, I found the practice questions in the PM Prepcast quizzes and Exam simulator much more helpful in passing the real PMP Exam. I hope my recommendations were helpful.

All the best with your studies and on your PMP Exam whenever you are ready to take it.

Is Process Groups: A Practice Guide a replacement for PMBOK 6th Ed? 3 months 3 weeks ago #31544

• Alexander Anikin
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Salma,

In my preparation, “PMP Exam: How to Pass on the First Try” by Andy Crowe was instrumental, read thoroughly not once but twice. Coupled with the Quick Reference Guide, it laid a solid foundation and provided swift, accessible insights throughout my study period. A pivotal role in my study regimen was played by The PM PrepCast by Cornelius Fichtner, complemented by its exceptional PMP Exam Simulator. I also leveraged Cornelius Fichtner’s PM StudyCoach, a vital tool that acted as a personalized guide through my study journey, ensuring efficient and effective preparation by keeping me on track toward my goals. My efforts resulted in achieving 'Target' on the People domain and 'Above Target' on both the Process and Business domains.

P.S. You may also find this post useful www.project-management-prepcast.com/kune...ns/13659-study-sheet

All the best,
Alex
Community Moderator
Last edit: by Alexander Anikin.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaBrent Lee

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login