fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Military PMP Transferable Skills

Military PMP Transferable Skills 4 months 2 weeks ago #31482

• Joseph Flanders
  • Joseph Flanders's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

Is there anywhere to find which skills from the military I am able to transfer to my application towards the PMP Exam?

I have heard that most people in the military inherently have PM skills, they just need to figure out how to transfer from what they have been doing in their job. I only know one person I work with who has the PMP, but they are a different career field and the tasks they put down are different than mine. I was trying to find something a little more specific to what I have done or someone who would be able to help me figure out what transfers.

I work as an aircraft mechanic. I am trying to work on my PMP application since I have heard it's best to go ahead and schedule it 2-3 months out.
Last edit: by Joseph Flanders.

Military PMP Transferable Skills 4 months 2 weeks ago #31483

• Elena Zelenevskaia
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Joseph,
Think about your work as an aircraft mechanic in terms of process groups: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing.
Did you ever participate in planning maintenance schedules or deciding when and how to undertake major repairs or upgrades? Did you create or contribute to maintenance plans, allocate resources, or plan for contingencies? and so on... This approach could help you describe your work in terms of project management activities.
Also, check the information on PMI website: www.pmi.org/military/#:~:text=PMI%20cate...ement%20(CAPM)%C2%AE .
Elena Zelenevskaia, PMP
Community Moderator

Military PMP Transferable Skills 4 months 2 weeks ago #31484

• Joseph Flanders
  • Joseph Flanders's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, I've looked through a few sources and everything I have seen makes it seem like I've mostly worked as a Project Team Member than as a Project Manager.

But when I've raised that concern to my teachers in college and other PMP's they just say "No, no, no, no. You've been in the military 15 years; you've DEFINITELY done Project Management work. You just need to take a look at what you've done over the past 8 years and figure out how to translate it into PM experience."

It seems like to me that the Project Managers are typically the people one step above me in every role I've been in. I have little experience creating schedules, deciding when maintenance is going to take place, or even who is going to be doing the job. Mostly that seems to be the people one step above me, but everyone has assured me I have the experience and just don't realize it.

It makes me nervous since I don't want to be perceived as "lying" by PMI on my application or by a future employer thinking I'm more qualified than I actually am.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaBrent Lee

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login