fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: 2 Months of Preparation Enough with 1 Failed attempt on boundary line in Sept'23

2 Months of Preparation Enough with 1 Failed attempt on boundary line in Sept'23 4 months 1 week ago #31096

• Dinesh Bramhapurkar
  • Dinesh Bramhapurkar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Folks out here,

I have restarted my Preperation after failing in my First attempt in PMP exam appeared on Sept'23. I have started again the Preparation and arranged my Exam date as March'24.
Question 1:
With 2 months to go and past PMP knowledge i had in my failed attempt, is this time good enough?

Question 2:
How much efforts i should distribute between Study (Reading Books) and giving Mock exams from PREP Cast? like 50-50% or 40:60%?
I had already read PMBOK7, PGPG and AGILE Practice Guide once last time. Now after Failure, thought of starting with zero RITA Mulcahy Book.
Is this right approach?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Regards
Dinesh

2 Months of Preparation Enough with 1 Failed attempt on boundary line in Sept'23 4 months 1 week ago #31098

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hello Dinesh,
I'll try to answer, based on your post yesterday:

Q. 1:
A great deal can be achieved in two months. And you have the added advantage of already knowing exactly how the PMP exam process works.
Depending on you being able to devote regular time (almost) every day to review, take mocks and further review between now and your next exam date, I would say you're in with more than a good chance of achieving your desired result.
In my opinion, the most useful (though painful) thing that you can do will be to review your initial exam experience with as much clarity as you can and to try to identify what elements you might improve on the most.

Q. 2:
The question that I'd be asking myself is: "When I took the PMP in September, what elements prevented me from passing?" Those are the elements to focus on now, in order to help you the most in March 2024.
For example, when answering the exam questions, did you find that you were taking too long to answer (i.e. you didn't have enough time to consider all 180 questions), or did you find the subject material behind the questions the greater challenge for you? In which case, a deeper learning and review of the study material is required.
In any case, I'm persuaded that working on exam technique in the PMP is of help to everyone. If you can practice taking full mock exams regularly in the lead-up to your March PMP exam, it can only be of benefit to you. It's like when a long-distance runner prepares for a marathon by doing regular runs that approach (or even exceed) the 42.195 km of the real event. The more they do of these, the more they are comfortable on race day and the less they're discombobulated when facing challenging situations (i.e. particularly difficult questions). That's assuming that they're "fresh" on race day itself -- also an important factor for the PMP exam date and the final days running up to it for you in March.

Unless I'm mistaken, in PM PrepCast, you can only take a maximum of four mock (or Practice) exams before you encounter questions that you've already seen. I'm of the opinion that it's more useful to take mock exams containing questions that one hasn't already met, so unless you use another system in parallel (not necessary), plan on doing four mocks.
What worked for me -- based on the advice of a seasoned tutor -- was to do roughly one mock exam per week in the final five or six weeks before the real PMP. Most importantly, give yourself enough time to review each mock exam question in detail and take the time to fully understand why you answered a question incorrectly -- or correctly. This took me longer than I'd projected each time -- perhaps double or triple the original exam time! -- but this kind of review work is only of value if one is learning/absorbing at one's own pace.

Before even starting the mocks, I would review thoroughly my study notes and work on removing as many grey areas in my understanding as possible. This kind of active learning and researching can take up a lot of time in itself, but it's worth it in long run. It not only enhances your chances in the PMP exam, it helps you be a better Project Manager in real life. -- which is what we are all aiming for, after all.

Only you can know what is the right balance of use of time for you.
As for Rita Mulcahy's book, I don't have any experience of it myself. I've heard good things, but there are also legions of people who pass the PMP without it. It's up to you whether you think an additional text will provide you with the boost needed.

Wishing you well on this journey, Dinesh. You can achieve great things with regular, focussed work between now and March!
Dominic Hickey, PMP
Last edit: by Dominic Hickey. Reason: Typo
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login